M cEvoy Funeral Home was established in 1901. J.R. Spicer, the founder of McEvoy's had previously been in the mercantile business in Dickson, Tennessee. He received his funeral director's and embalmer's training from the Cincinnati, Ohio, School of Mortuary Science. Then in 1901, he established the J.R. Spicer Company in Paris, located in the Opera House block at 209 West Washington, the current location of the Ivy League. He later moved to the North Court Square at 104 North Market Street, next door to the current location of Wallin's Hardware. Mr. Spicer serviced funerals from family homes and churches with portable equipment and horse drawn hearses. In 1906 he became only the third president of the newly organized Tennessee Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association.
In 1924, P.S. McEvoy moved to Paris to engage in the funeral profession as a partner with Mr. Spicer. Later the firm, renamed Spicer-McEvoy, moved to 507 West Washington Street. In 1948, Mr. McEvoy became the owner of the entire firm and changed the name to McEvoy Funeral Home. Also in 1948, Clyde T. Cates, an employee since 1919, W.C.(Bill) Looney, an employee since 1933, and P.L. Sykes, an employee since 1942, became associated with Mr. McEvoy as partners in McEvoy Funeral Home.
After Mr. McEvoy's death in 1949, the firm continued operation with Mrs. Isabelle McEvoy as partner. In 1956, Mr. Sykes's interest was purchased by the other three partners. Later, Mr. Looney purchased Mr. Cates's share as well as a portion of Mrs. McEvoy's interest. In 1960 the current facility and chapel were dedicated with an open house on October 11th. Mr. Looney served on the Tennessee Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers for ten years, was State Association Vice President for West Tennessee for three years, and State President in 1969-70. Thus, Paris and McEvoy's have furnished two Tennessee State Association presidents.
Since the deaths of Mrs. McEvoy and Mr. Looney, the firm has been owned and operated by it's president, Mrs. W.C.(Mary Sue) Looney, her son, William T. Looney and her daughter, Mrs. Suzanne Richter.
McEvoy Funeral Home has been a family owned business for 110 years, professionally serving the needs of our community.